Thursday, October 15, 2009

this is it! We leave in 36 hours!

We've done lots of things the last few days. I finally went to an ATM and got some local money (thanks Tim!). I've just been using dollars but I ran out. The dollar has devalued 10% while we've been here - I think the world is still mad over Obama's Peace prize.
I bought some more pearls on beach from these ladies. I won't disclose how many sets...but if you tell me you want one, I'll give you one.
We went on side by side ATV's. Harry and Tim - they were 200 cc PGO's. We just went on pavement to the top of the island. Nice view.







The first night we were here they had a pig roast for us. We didn't really eat because the natives needed the food but we sampled and it was very good. They stuff the pig with lemon grass - it's actually grass that tastes like lemon and it was amazing! So, then, I saw a boy turning a pig, manually, over coals so I took a picture of that. Maybe you'll see it.
My favorite purchase, is a $3 house dress. My bags are getting pretty full or I'd go buy a few more. I've been wanting a moo moo for a while and this one is perfect! Knee length with a pocket. It reminds me of the good ol' days with Maurine.
Oh, and as my service while I'm here...
The daughter of the guy Don got the boat for is Gemma. She and her brother have horrible skin - the kind that leaves scarring. Don and Cath brought her proactive (probably $40 or so) hoping that it will help her. I had kind of just kept my mouth shut and assumed that medicine hadn't worked for her or wasn't available (no one I'm with knew that her kind of acne wasn't the result of poor skin care).
So, last night at dinner I asked Don if she had seen a doctor for her skin. He kind of laughed and said they would never have enough money for that. A girl was with us that Don and Cath put through college and Don asked her to find out about a doctor. Luckily, there is a clinic on the island we are going to take Gemma to for the whopping amount of $10! Anything they give her will be an improvement- medicine is cheap. I don't know if the have Acutane her because that's what she really needs. So, I'm hopeful that we can find something that will help her and her
brother.
And helping her makes me feel better about buying 30 strands of pearls :)

Me at a fish market. blegh!

No comments: